About Northwest Sound
We are a men's a cappella chorus, and the Bellevue Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society. Northwest Sound has a fantastic culture, and a passion for excellence singing. Barbershop is about harmony in human voices coming together to create beautiful and inspirational music. It is also about brotherhood where men of all ages can join together in this truly American artform and form friendships that last a lifetime. It is also about challenge, growth, and commitment - singing great a cappella harmony is continous journey of learning. The combination of joy in music, friendship, and personal growth makes for a fantastic hobby. When will we see you at our next rehearsal?
We rehearse most Wednesday evenings at 7pm at First United Methodist Church in Bellevue (1934 108th Ave. NE). All are welcome to visit or join in.
Northwest Sound was founded in 1985 Northwest Sound was founded to offer a demanding and challenging musical experience for male singers in the Puget Sound who wanted to commit to excellence in music and performance. Starting with a handful of dedicated men the chorus was chartered into the Barbershop Harmony Society and attracted men from throughout the Northwest who shared their goals.
With this enthusiastic baseline the chorus quickly rose to the upper echelon of a-cappella choral music, winning repeated Evergreen District championships and representing the Northwest in international competitions of the Barbershop Society in 1987, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 2006, 2009, and 2011. They also performed for the Society in 2012.
To build upon this extensive record of success in 2007 and 2008 the chorus refined its vision of the future and dedicated itself to become even better. The Vision Statement adopted by the chorus did not alter the fundamental commitment to excellence but rather enhanced its appeal to men of all ages. The Vision to which each member commits rests upon the following pillars:
- Commmitted Members. Northwest Sound is a band of brothers, committed to creating art through vocal expression. There is no weak link among us; we all lift each other to create music.
- Strong Foundational Organization. Northwest Sound is a chorus first, supported by an organization that seamlessly provides all the operations a chorus needs. Everyone has an important role to play, and each member fulfills his duties diligently.
- High Membership Skill Level. Each Northwest Sound member has become a better singer and has enjoyed the journey to become such. We understand clearly what we can do to help produce a more artistic presentation for our audience.
- Rehearsals That Are Both Work and Fun. We are exhausted at the end of each rehearsal, but we never understand how the time went by so quickly. Rehearsal time is almost sacred, not to be wasted. Each week is a new opportunity to increase our performance level, whether the song is new, or a well-known repertoire piece.
- Continual Growth. There is a place for everyone in Northwest Sound. Whether you are the new guy just learning, a young stud with a booming voice, or an accomplished senior quarteter, everyone has a place, because everyone can either learn or teach.
- Artistic Music. Barbershop is the core of what Northwest Sound does. Realizing that variety creates interest and that our goal is to entertain, we embrace other vocal art forms and perform many such pieces, but in everything Northwest Sound does, quality is the key.
- A Competitive Heart. While competing may not be Northwest Sound’s only goal, it is an important part of our growth, and it has provided us with benchmarks along the way. We always present artistic performances, both on the contest stage and off.
- Culture of Respect. We work diligently developing a culture of respect within Northwest Sound. During rehearsal time, we pay strict attention to those leading the activities, to maximize our efforts and enjoyment of the ensemble time. We care sincerely for our brothers in our chapter and in those chapters around us. We respect other choruses and work to achieve their respect.
Our vision is distilled into the following mission, which serves to both summarize our dreams and drive our actions:
Northwest Sound is a brotherhood of men united in a cappella harmony, predominately in the barbershop style, to provide joy and entertainment to all who hear and participate. Northwest Sound seeks to achieve the highest level of artistry in all of our presentations so that we might properly preserve our musical heritage by bringing it to life for ourselves and for our audiences in today’s setting. Through our music, we endeavor to lift those who need lifting, cheer those who need cheering and serve those who need serving.